Monday, June 17, 2013

Menu Monday #9


It’s a little sad making a menu this week because this past Saturday, I didn’t contribute to the co-op for a basket. I didn’t contribute because our family drove up to Lubbock, TX to visit my mom, my father-in-law, his girlfriend, and of course, our friends that we went to Austin with and their 2 girls (The Gabel’s).

We drove up to celebrate my husband’s 36th birthday and Father’s Day. Friday night we went to a Lubbock staple, and probably one of our favorite places, Copper Caboose. We met up with my father in law, The Gabel’s, and Mom and Dad Gabel. There were a total of 11 of us. I grew up living far away from cousins and other extended family. Getting together with family and friends (who are practically family) was really nice because I felt like “the family” all went out to dinner. I hadn’t seen Mom and Dad Gabel in years. It was so nice to catch up.

Sydney and my father-in-law, Mike, waiting for
our drinks at BJ's Brewhouse.
Saturday night we had a party at my mom’s; same crowd, minus Mom and Dad Gabel. My mom cooked Korean food because that’s what my husband asked for. It was a huge hit and today at work we had some of the same dishes for National Eat Your Veggies Day.

Sunday we visited with my father-in-law and his girlfriend. My dad was in the midst of flying back to the US from Dresden, Germany, so we didn’t get to see him or wish him a Happy Father’s Day in person. But it was still a nice day. We got to see my father-in-law’s new house!

Sometime this week begins the $15 fruit and vegetable challenge, that is, going to the store and trying to find as much (or near as much) as I would have gotten in the co-op basket for around the same price. It’s near impossible, but I will try. And because I haven’t gone shopping yet, it’s going to be a, “Use up what we have in the freezer to make it somewhat easier” week.

Monday – Random leftovers from our Lubbock trip, including yesterday’s leftover BJ’s Brewhouse, and Korean food not eaten at my potluck today.
Tuesday – Leftover freezer food stash! Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili (made with Boca crumbles) and corn bread.
Wednesday – Leftover freezer food stash! Beef Chalupas (No shell for me)
Thursday – Breakfast for dinner! Waffles, bacon, eggs. (I might make these for myself.)
Friday – Out
SaturdayGrilled Chicken & Zucchini Yakitori, Steamed Rice (I may eat a salad to keep to lower carb… but I grew up on steamed rice, so it’s hard for me to skip.)
Sunday – Fat Kid Sunday! Homemade Pepperoni Pizza.

Do you have anything yummy on your menu this week? How do you handle food after a whirlwind, out of town, birthday weekend?

Enjoy your week!


No comments:

Post a Comment